Discipleship & Leadership
So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ.
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations…
Online Training on Biblical Discipleship
Bible study sessions have concluded. Below are the details and the training materials for download.
Discipleship Class Overview
Learning Discipleship from the Gospel of Mark is a 10-session online Bible teaching/training series on discipleship. It opens our eyes to who Jesus is, the perfect Disciple-Maker, so that we, despite our struggle and suffering, can learn to follow Jesus and can help others to also follow Him, despite their struggle and suffering. This study series is based on Mark’s Gospel, which presents a foundational and practical model on what it means to be a faithful disciple of Jesus.
By the end of the 10 sessions, the students will be able to do the following:
- Describe the relationship between Christology (the study about Jesus) and discipleship (following Jesus to be more like Him);
- Explain who Jesus is, as presented in the Gospel of Mark;
- Evaluate the positive and negative portrayals of the disciples in the narrative;
- Apply the three discipleship teachings of Jesus in Mark 8-10; and
- Read the whole Gospel of Mark.
|DATE||SESSION No.||SESSION TITLE||TOPICS|
|5/16/2020||1||Discipleship Overview in Mark’s Gospel (Part 1)||Class Overview; Discipleship Story of Mark; Discipleship Story of Peter|
|5/23/2020||2||Discipleship Overview in Mark’s Gospel (Part 2)||Introduction of Mark’s Gospel; Suffering as Discipleship Context|
|5/30/2020||3||Discovering Who Jesus Is in Mark’s Gospel (Part 1)||“Son of God,” “Christ,” and Other Titles of Jesus in the Gospel Narrative|
|6/6/2020||4||Discovering Who Jesus Is in Mark’s Gospel (Part 2)||Jesus as the Serving, Suffering, and Sacrificing Messiah|
|6/13/2020||5||Delight of Discipleship in Mark’s Gospel (Part 1)||First Two Key Discipleship Calls by Jesus in the Gospel Narrative|
|6/20/2020||6||Delight of Discipleship in Mark’s Gospel (Part 2)||Last Two Key Discipleship Calls by Jesus; Positive Portrayal of the Disciples|
|6/27/2020||7||Difficulty of Discipleship in Mark’s Gospel (Part 1)||Misunderstanding, Incomprehension, and Desertion by the Disciples|
|7/4/2020||8||Difficulty of Discipleship in Mark’s Gospel (Part 2)||Positive Portrayal of the Disciples; Hostility and Opposition to Jesus|
|7/14/2020||9||Discipleship Teaching of Jesus in Mark’s Gospel (Part 1)||First Two Discipleship Teachings of Jesus in the Gospel Narrative|
|7/21/2020||10||Discipleship Teaching of Jesus in Mark’s Gospel (Part 2)||Third Discipleship Teaching of Jesus; Characteristics of Jesus’ Discipleship|
- Students who wish to learn more can avail of this advanced training by attending the 4:00-5:00 PM “extra” session (in addition to the 3:00-4:00 PM “regular” session) on the 10 Saturdays. The extra one-hour session is for Q&A, feedback, and additional material.
- There will additional reading options for those who want to get more from the class.
- For sessions #5-#6 (scheduled on June 13 and 20) at 4:00-5:00 PM, I will teach the method of “narrative criticism,” as applied to the Gospel of Mark.
- For sessions #9-#10 (scheduled on July 14 and 21) at 4:00-5:00 PM, I will teach how to teach or train others to also learn discipleship from the Gospel of Mark.
- To extend the mileage of these teaching/training sessions for disciple-making purposes, the disciplers (who attend the weekly sessions) can meet online with their disciples (who also attend the weekly sessions) for 30 minutes (or an hour) during the week. The additional time during the week will be to discuss what they learned and how they can apply these lessons in their own discipleship and disciple-making.
Discipleship Class Study Materials – please click on the document titles listed below to view or download the files.
- Gospel of Mark Animated Video (Bible Project)
- Gospel of Mark Summary (Video)
- Mark – 15 Minute Teaching (Video)
- Gospel of Mark Rhetorical Techniques
- Misunderstandings in 3 Passion Predictions
- Negative Portrayal of Disciples in Mark
- Discipleship in Mark – Class Session 7
- Discipleship in Mark – Class Session 7 (Advanced)
- Conflict in the Gospel of Mark – Class Session 8
- Discipleship in Mark – Class Session 8
- Discipleship in Mark – Class Session 8 (Advanced)
Leaders become great, not because of their power, but because of their ability to empower others. — John Maxwell